|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||Davidson College applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
Glossary entry for program parameter 10698Program Housing:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10703Minimum GPA:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10704Language of Instruction:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10706Language Prerequisite:
|Class Eligibility:||02 - Sophomore, 03 - Junior|
CIEE Service-Learning Program in Santiago, Dominican Republic
Ever seen a fair-trade label on an item you’ve purchased? That means the item supports small producers in underdeveloped countries like the Dominican Republic, the second-poorest country in the Caribbean. Examine some of the great challenges the Dominican people face, and actively work to improve their lives on CIEE’s Service-Learning program. Through coursework, fieldwork, internships, cultural activities, and excursions, you’ll also improve your Spanish skills, and gain new abilities in research methodology, grant writing, critical analysis, and public speaking.
Study abroad in Santiago and you will:
- Enjoy an internship placement in a service site corresponding to your academic interests
- Expose yourself to an experiential, collaborative learning model through grassroots and community-based engagement and learning
- Engage yourself in promoting community action and change through applied field research and a Capstone Project
- Build portfolio of practical life and job skills such as undergraduate research, grant writing, critical analysis & problem solving, and public speaking and presentations in target language
- Be a part of an ongoing and co-curricular rural partnership in organic farming and environmental justice
- Visit sites of cultural, economic, and social importance, including the Free Trade Zone, the Dajabón bi-national market on the Haitian border, Boca de Nigua and Engombe (historic ruins of slave-run sugar mills). Visits include readings, debriefs, and facilitated group reflections on each experience
Find out more.
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.