Programs > Brochure
School for Field Studies - Cambodia
Siem Reap, Cambodia (Outgoing )
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||The School for Field Studies (SFS)|
|Restrictions:||Davidson College applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall||2020||02/01/2020 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
Glossary entry for program parameter 10698Program Housing:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10703Minimum GPA:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10704Language of Instruction:
|English||Class Eligibility:||02 - Sophomore, 03 - Junior|
All biology majors seeking credit for their major from courses completed in study abroad programs through the School for Field Studies (SFS) are strongly encouraged to also meet with Dr. Kevin Smith (email@example.com) in the biology department.
CONNECT WITH SFS
- Visit the SFS website
- Call the Admissions Hotline at (800) 989-4418
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Read updates from the field on the SFS Blog
- Follow SFS on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Watch student videos on YouTube
RIVER ECOSYSTEMS & ENVIRONMENTAL ETHICS,
- Terms: Fall, Spring
- Credits: 18 semester-hour credits
- Prerequisites: One semester of college-level ecology, biology, or environmental studies/science; 18 years of age
- Application Deadline: Rolling admissions. Early applications encouraged
- Financial Aid: All accepted students can apply for need-based scholarships, grants, and loans
The Lower Mekong Basin, extending over most of Cambodia and incorporating the great Tonle Sap Lake, hosts diverse ecosystems, including lowland evergreen forests, dry dipterocarp forests, seasonally flooded gallery forests, and estuarine mangroves which give rise to the Indo-Burma global biodiversity hotspot. Students examine the dynamics and ethical challenges surrounding environmental change and development in the Lower Mekong Basin. They also learn about the complexity of Cambodia's struggle to balance biodiversity, development, and human needs.
- Travel across Cambodia, studying the diverse ecosystems and livelihoods of the Lower Mekong Basin
- Evaluate opportunities and challenges in tourism development while exploring the resplendent Khmer temple complex of Angkor, the world's largest pre-industrial urban complex
- Participate in baseline biodiversity surveys in the Tonle Sap Biosphere Reserve, and investigate the status of migratory bird species
- Stay in bungalows at a community fishery project in coastal Cambodia to learn about community-based natural resource management and plant mangroves along the tidal flats of the Gulf of Thailand
- Explore Cat Tien National park in Vietnam, visiting a primate rehabilitation center and learning about indigenous peoples' connections with forests from Chau Ma elders
Davidson College is an affiliate school of the School for Field Studies. This relationship with SFS allows Davidson students to:
- Have priority acceptance to the various SFS semester and summer programs.
- Receive four Davidson biology course credits (BIO 184 and BIO 381-383) as pass/fail for attending a semester program and one Davidson biology course credit (BIO 385) as pass/fail for attending a summer program. Three of the SFS semester courses (BIO 381-383) and the SFS summer course (BIO 385) may count toward a major in Biology. SFS courses do not fulfill the Davidson core requirement for laboratory science. Note that seven of the courses required for the Biology major must be Davidson courses taught by Davidson College faculty. SFS courses do not count towards those seven courses.
- BIO 184 fulfills the cultural diversity credit
Premedical Students Applying To Medical School:
When entering your School for Field Studies courses on the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) document, be certain that you list the courses as Davidson courses with a grade of pass/fail. You should discuss the implications of how this may affect your AMCAS application with the Pre-Medical Director, Dr. Naila M. Mamoon.
**Start and end dates are tentative. Please verify them through the provider.**