Education abroad is an invaluable opportunity that supplements the Davidson undergraduate experience. Students have the opportunity to choose from several Davidson sponsored programs and from over 100 academic programs that are operated by partner providers around the world. Each year, well over half of our graduating class studies abroad for a year, semester or summer.
Please click on Application Process if you are considering study abroad in the near future.
Message from the Office of Education Abroad in light of the evolving COVID-19 situation:
OEA staff hope everyone is safe and well and settling into their new routine under the virtual instruction model. Please see a few notes below that answer some questions we have been receiving:
- OEA staff are continuing to work remotely during regular business hours and are accessible by email, phone, and Zoom, effective March 13, 2020.
- Advisors are still available for 1:1 virtual appointments with students. Please visit our Schedule an Appointment page to select a time, and the advisor will email you to confirm and include a link to a Zoom meeting. (Refer to this helpful T&I article about using Zoom if you need assistance.)
- Summer Programs:
- The status of Davidson summer programs is being reviewed, and any decisions regarding cancellation will be communicated to applicants as soon as information is available. If a program is cancelled, students will be refunded the amount that they have already paid toward the program.
- Students applying for summer partner provider programs will be contacted by their program with any updates. Please be sure to let OEA know if your program is cancelled or if you decide to withdraw.
- Fall Programs:
- At this time, no changes to fall programs have been announced (for Davidson programs or those through our partner providers). Please continue completing paperwork and requirements as though the programs will happen. Any cancellations will be communicated to students as that information is available, and our staff will discuss possible alternatives at that time.
- The Official Leave Notification Deadline has been extended until Friday, March 20th. If you plan to go abroad in the fall, please go ahead and complete the OLN. If the program is cancelled or you decide to withdraw for personal reasons, your $350 study abroad administrative fee will be refunded. (Please confirm refund policies with your individual partner provider.)
- The Registrar’s Office is advising that all students complete WebTree for the fall, even if you are planning to study abroad.
Please refer to the Davidson College COVID-19 page for the latest communication from the College as well as the COVID-19 Response FAQ for answers to common questions. Be kind to yourself and others as we face increased uncertainty and stress! #DavidsonStrong #DavidsonTrue
Resources to stay abreast of the latest news regarding the COVID-19 outbreak:
U.S. Department of State:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
British Foreign & Commonwealth Office:
NAFSA Coronavirus Critical Resources:
Press Briefing by the President’s Coronavirus Task Force:
All prospective study abroad students are encouraged to Schedule an Appointment with an education abroad adviser. If you only have a brief (5-10 minute) question, walk-in advising is available Monday through Thursday between 4:00-4:45 pm in the Office of Education Abroad in Duke Residence Hall.
The Office of Study Abroad is changing to the Office of Education Abroad in keeping with the field and in recognition of the wider breadth of international educational opportunities for students. Changes are underway on the webpage, and the term “study abroad” will still be searchable and applicable.
For the class of 2023 and future classes, Davidson College will follow a home tuition policy for fall, spring, and academic year study abroad. Under this policy, students who study abroad with a partner program will pay to Davidson the College’s study abroad and tuition fees, and the College will pay the partner program’s tuition cost to that program (up to Davidson’s tuition fee). Students will pay all other program costs, including a non-refundable deposit, directly to the partner program. This policy aligns Davidson’s practices with many other U.S. colleges and universities.