Skip to content
STEP 1: CREATE A PROFILE by clicking the Login button above. Log in using your regular Davidson username and password. Be sure to include your cell phone number, academic interests, and study abroad goals.

Once you create a profile, you may search for programs from the APPROVED PROGRAMS LIST and save your favorites to your profile. This is your personal Davidson study abroad portal; be sure to check it often for important announcements.
STEP 3REQUEST AN APPOINTMENT with an education abroad adviser.
STEP 4:  APPLY TO PROGRAMS - after deciding on which program to apply to from the APPROVED PROGRAMS LIST, click on the "Apply to Program" link on that program's webpage to open the application.

All students, regardless of program, must complete a Davidson online application.
Davidson Programs
Students applying to a Davidson-administered program for the fall, spring, academic year, or summer must select the desired Davidson program, click on the "Apply to Program" button, then complete that Davidson online application.
Partner Programs (Semester)
Students applying to a partner (third-party) program such as IES or CIEE for the fall, spring, or academic year must select it by clicking on the "Apply to Program" button, then complete the Davidson online application for that program AND apply directly to the approved partner program (Davidson = permission; partner provider = admission). If you choose to apply to more than one partner program, apply directly to all of them, but you only need to complete one Davidson application because our requirements are the same for all partner programs. There is no need to do extra work!

Partner Programs (Summer)
Students applying to a partner program for the summer must select “Summer Program - Partner (Non-Davidson),” click on the "Apply to Program" button, then complete that Davidson online application AND apply directly to the partner program. Additional information on Summer Programs.

Most partner programs accept qualified students on a rolling admission basis. Submit ALL application materials, including transcripts, recommendations, and any supporting documents to Davidson and the approved partner program by the...

Summer, Fall, and Academic Year:  February 1
Spring:  October 1

Please note:  Partner programs deadlines may differ from the Davidson deadline. If you do not submit all of the materials by the Davidson deadline, your study abroad permission may be revoked. Please pay attention to the Davidson deadline.
Petition Process 
Note: The International Education Committee is not accepting petition application for the Spring 2021 application cycle due to the widespread travel restrictions resulting from COVID-19.

Students who have a compelling academic reason to study abroad through a program that is not on Davidson's approved list may submit one petition, which will be reviewed by the International Education Committee. For more information, please refer to Petition Process and Petition Deadlines.
STEP 5 (For Semester Applicants Only):  COMPLETE THE OFFICIAL LEAVE NOTIFICATION in your Davidson study abroad portal after you have been accepted and are ready to commit to your study abroad program.

The Official Leave Notification alerts the Davidson offices of study abroad, financial aid, business services, residence life, and the registrar of your official commitment to study abroad. Pay close attention to additional instructions for each office in your Davidson study abroad portal. The Official Leave Notification deadline is:
Fall and Academic Year:  March 15
Spring:  November 1
There is a $250.00 penalty if a student submits the Official Leave Notification after March 15 for the fall semester/academic year or after November 1 for the spring semester. There is a $500.00 penalty if a student submits the Leave Form after June 15 for the fall/academic year or after January 1 for the spring semester.

Students participating in a partner (third-party) provider program for the fall/spring/academic year will be billed a nonrefundable $350.00 administrative fee after the Official Leave Notification. This will be paid via a student's account after it is posted in early April (fall programs) or mid-November (spring programs).

Students who have not yet heard of their program acceptance by the Official Leave Notification deadline should still complete the form by the deadline as long as they intend to commit upon acceptance.
STEP 6: COMPLETE the remaining PRE-DEPARTURE MATERIALS in your Davidson study abroad portal by the indicated due date.

Pay close attention to additional information and required form submissions related to:

Transcripts can be requested through the Davidson Registrar's Office - Transcript Requests. Follow the instructions from your provider program application regarding what type of transcript to send, i.e. official or unofficial, paper or electronic. Please allow enough time for transcript requests to be processed and received.

RECOMMENDATIONS:  Most study abroad programs require 1-2 letter(s) of recommendation from professors. Professors need at least 3 weeks advance notice before the deadline. In addition, you should:
1) Ask recommenders politely (preferably in person) if they feel they can write a positive letter for you and if they feel they know you well enough in XX academic area to write a letter. For language assessment recommendations, it is to your advantage to ask your most recent professor to write the letter.
2) Share the deadline with your professor and remind him/her of your request a few days before the deadline.

3) Remind your professor of the course(s) you had with him/her, the semester, and your final grade. Including a written assignment or exam from the class is helpful. If a more extensive letter is required, please include your resume, or at least information about your GPA, extracurricular activities, accomplishments, interests, reason for selecting your study abroad program and the goals you hope to accomplish during your semester overseas.

4) Include a pre-addressed, stamped envelope if your professor needs to mail the recommendation.

5) "Waiving your right" or “not waiving your right?” You do have the option to view the information your recommender submits. If you choose not to waive your right (which means you can view the information), inform your professor so he/she is aware and can let you know whether he/she is comfortable writing a recommendation on your behalf.

PASSPORTS:  Be sure your passport is valid for at least six months after your program ends. If you need to renew or obtain a new passport, please note it can take up to six weeks for U.S. citizens to receive it. More details can be found on the U.S. Department of State passport website.

VISA WARNING:  Most countries require you to surrender your passport as part of the visa application process. Since it may take up to 90 days to receive a visa and have your passport returned to you, participating in consecutive study abroad programs in different countries, particularly between summer and fall, may be problematic or impossible.

Davidson College and consulate staffers cannot guarantee that a visa will be granted by a foreign government in any circumstance or in any time frame. International students should schedule a consultation with the International Student Programs Office to discuss their visa status.

Last modified 08/21/2020

© 2012 Davidson College Davidson, North Carolina