*Students applying for Davidson-administered programs for Summer 2021 are encouraged to apply to an alternate recommended partner program in the event that Davidson is unable to offer its faculty-led programs as hoped.
Davidson offers faculty-led summer study options in various locations that enhance the on-campus curriculum of different academic departments. Summer programs provide an excellent way to find out more about a particular discipline as well as to explore a new location and culture. In addition to these Davidson-administered faculty-led programs, many students have successfully participated in and transferred credit from partner institutions and organizations. Although Davidson does not have an “approved program” list for the summer, a number of recommended program options available through our partner organizations are listed below. Students should review the application process for summer programs to ensure they do not miss any deadlines and note that they must complete a "Summer Program - Partner" application in addition to completing the partner requirements.
The Davidson application and all partner program materials for summer are due February 1.
Students are strongly encouraged to meet with an Education Abroad Adviser to review the application process, deadlines, credit transfer process, and cost information. Advisers can also share information about grant and scholarship options for summer programs.
Davidson Summer Programs
Davidson in Cádiz: An intensive two-course program in Cádiz, Spain, this program features four hours of instruction in the morning followed by afternoon cultural activities and excursions selected to enrich material covered in class. These courses can be applied to the major or minor in Hispanic Studies. The four weeks of coursework are preceded by a week of group travel throughout Spain, and upon arrival in Cádiz, students live with host families.
Davidson in Cambridge: Jointly sponsored by the departments of English and history, the six-week program explores the history and literature of Britain in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. A Davidson faculty member accompanies the group to Cambridge, but all the teaching is done by British scholars, most from the Cambridge University community, and the curriculum replicates the British educational system by combining lectures and tutorials. Students reside in Emmanuel College's East Court and are granted access to the incredible Cambridge library.
Davidson in Ghana: Over a period of seven weeks, students will be immersed in modern and traditional Ghanaian life while living in Kusami. The program includes two anthropology courses, a service/research project, and a week-long excursion into other regions of the country. Ghanaian professors and artists will teach all classes at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST).
Davidson in Zambia: Students participating in this program learn about the cultural, economic, environmental, and political factors that influence health in Mwandi, Zambia. The program begins in the spring semester with several mandatory meetings to prepare students for the month-long program in Zambia. Students are assigned readings that introduce them to Zambian culture and provide an overview of global health issues specific to sub-Saharan Africa. While in Mwandi, students take part in rounds with various hospital departments under the supervision of health care workers and attend afternoon classes. Participants collaborate on a research project focusing on improving health care in resource-limited environments while in Zambia, completing the project and reflection assignment during a required fall semester course following the summer travel component.
Davidson in Silicon Valley: More information on this program is available in the Domestic Programs section.
Davidson in Washington, D.C.: More information on this program is available on the Political Science department website.
Recommended Summer Partner Programs (single program options)
- AIT Budapest (computer science; also offers a separate, stand-alone Hungarian language program in late summer)
- American Academy in Rome - Classics (Italy)
- American Councils: Advanced Russian Language & Area Studies
- American School of Classical Studies at Athens (Italy)
- Budapest Semester in Mathematics (Hungary)
- Critical Language Scholarship (Multiple)
- DIS: Copenhagen (Denmark)
- Hamilton Associated Colleges in China
- International Chinese Language Program: National Taiwan University (Taiwan)
- London School of Economics (England)
- Qasid Arabic Institute (Jordan)
- SRAS: Russian Language & Central Asian Studies in Bishkek
- The Swedish Program
- Tunghai University CSAT Summer Mini-Semester (Taiwan)
- UMKC French Language Summer in Lyon (France)
- University College Dublin
- UVA Valencia (Spain)
- Arcadia University: Study Abroad
- Arcadia University: Summer STEM Research (When searching, change "Program Type" to research options)
- Frederick Douglas Global Fellowship (Fully-funded summer program for students of color)
- IES Abroad
- SFS: School for Field Studies
- SIT: School for International Training
- Syracuse University Abroad
- Temple University
- University of Minnesota