Skip to Content


Davidson College students, faculty and staff traveling on an approved Davidson or a third party provider study abroad program are provided at no cost with international emergency travel assistance insurance through EIIA. For more information on the policy, please visit the EIIA website. The EIIA plan serves as the primary emergency health insurance coverage for the travel abroad. Please note there is a $250 deductible per person, per injury, and a $500 deductible with a $3,000 limit for pre-existing conditions. 

As a secondary carrier, students, faculty and staff may use their U.S. based personal medical coverage for routine or non-emergency medical expenses while abroad.

Not all U.S. based insurance companies (i.e., Cigna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna) offer medical insurance coverage abroad. It is important to contact the insurance provider to discuss coverage. Some important questions to ask: What medical services are covered? Are there preferred hospitals or clinics abroad? Will care be considered in-network or out-of-network? How is reimbursement of medical bills handled? Does the insurance company need to be notified before seeking treatment?

Important: Employees should not cancel their U.S. based insurance policy while abroad. In the event that the employee returns to the U.S. due to medical reasons, his or her U.S. based insurance will become the primary insurance.

Cigna Secure Travel is for full-time Davidson College employees covered under Davidson College's group life insurance policy, and for part-time Davidson College employees who have elected voluntary life insurance coverage through CIGNA Life. This travel assistance is to be used only after you have used EIIA Travel Assistance.

The International Teacher Identification Card provides additional travel assistance and supplemental medical insurance (among other benefits). If you would like to purchase a card, please contact the Davidson College Study Abroad Office.


© 2012 Davidson College Davidson, North Carolina