Skip to Content
Health_careDavidson College students, faculty and staff traveling on an approved Davidson or third party provider study abroad program are provided at no cost with international emergency travel assistance insurance through EIIA. The EIIA plan serves as the primary emergency health insurance coverage for the travel abroad. For more information on the policy, please visit the EIIA website.

Effective August 1 a new EIIA emergency insurance policy will be in effect. Further details will be available on the following website in mid-June:

As a secondary carrier, students, faculty and staff may use their U.S. based personal medical coverage for routine or non-emergency medical expenses while abroad. Not all U.S. based insurance companies (i.e., Cigna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna) offer medical insurance coverage abroad. It is important to contact the insurance provider to discuss coverage. Some important questions to ask: What medical services are covered? Are there preferred hospitals or clinics abroad? Will care be considered in-network or out-of-network? How is reimbursement of medical bills handled? Does the insurance company need to be notified before seeking treatment?

If the U.S. based personal medical insurance does not cover the student abroad or does not provide adequate supplemental coverage, the student may want to consider buying an international medical insurance policy. There are many companies that offer this service.
Many third party program providers will include medical insurance in their program fee. Students should review the coverage. If it is deemed adequate, it may be used as their secondary policy.

Students should not cancel their U.S. based insurance policy while abroad. In the event that the student returns to the U.S. due to medical reasons, the U.S. based insurance will become the primary insurance. 

© 2012 Davidson College Davidson, North Carolina